Friday, June 29, 2012

Uncomfortable? Wait a few minutes

Friday was hot. Several cities in the mid Atlantic and south east posted record temperatures. The heat was certainly present on the Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) in the morning. I'm sad to say it was all I could do to guide the bike down the hill from Frostburg to Cumberland. Initially I was holding aero position and a bug eating grin at 20 mph. By the bottom I was a lethargic space cadet. I spent a couple hours in Cumberland eating, resupplying, and avoiding the heat of the day. When I set out again I was in full desert mode fully hydrated, loaded with fluids, and covered from sun.
[pic missing due to dead phone]
After a mile of sun I was enveloped in the canopy of the C&O towpath. The humidity and shade are much more to my liking.
The towpath is a rougher ride. There are roots and potholes. Bushy grass expands out into the walking/biking lanes at times. Bits of the canopy from above fall down into the road bed. Several riders complain about this. On a rigid frame bike it would be jolting. On the Moots YBB just unlock the front and rear suspension and keep rolling. People were amazed I rode aerobars on the towpath. With good suspension anything is possible.
I pressed into the evening for another long day. I didn't think to monitor weather forecasts.
Heading trough Pawpaw tunnel my gear shone again. The tunnel is nearly a km long with no lights and uneven surface. Feeling bold, or stupid, I approached the tunnel, flipped on the handlebar light and unlocked suspension, and kept hammering. It was interesting bouncing along the narrow platform in the dark. It was very much like riding single track mountain bike trails at night.
Well into the tunnel I met a grandfather walking a bike with his granddaughter in a kid seat. They were out for their daily 30 mile ride. This encounter really struck me. Great for him for riding, great break for the parents, great outing for the kid, and the ~2year old was amazingly calm in the dank environment of the tunnel. She wielded her own flashlight and looked around. This is why we need more hike and bike friendly infrastructure. Grandpa assured me I could reach little Orleans before dark easily. Hancock would put me into darkness.
I love riding when the sun starts setting, shadows get long, and temps start falling. Clouds of bugs love this time too. Somewhere along the way I realized I would be riding on the C&O in the dark. The rougher surface would require slower pace. Then a plan came together - I could push hard to the paved western Maryland rail trail and then roll easily into Hancock.
I was clicking off miles when lightening started. I assumed summer heat lightening. Wind started. I assumed thermal variations. Then a big lash of lightening in the distance hammered home the reality of my situation. A huge storm was coming. This lended urgency to the otherwise great riding conditions. I tucked into aero and hammered away.

I found Western Maryland Rail Trail (WMRT) as darkness congealed. The paved flat miles of WMRT flew past. Then storm winds escalated and debris started raining down from the canopy. Rain, leaves, and small limbs fell and floated on blustery winds. It was like being inside a mini tornado. Tunnel vision narrowed on the trail as I rapidly picked lines through debris fields.
Then a rather large stick covered half the trail. Then the stick moved. The rounded body and raised head of a snake came into focus. On wet pavement layered with sticks and leaves grabbing a double handfull of brakes started the rear tire sliding. The tire slid right, the bike faded left, I released the brakes and rode a tight wire on the left edge of the trail right past the snake nose. We each went on our way seeking shelter from the storm.
Further up the trail I came to a wall of green and skidded to a stop. A fallen tree blocked the trail. I made my way off the trail, down the side berm, into the woods, and around the tree. On the other side I saddled up and pressed forward.
Finally I started seeing the lights of town. I whipped two lefts onto main street and met with more good fortune. A family enjoying the storm from their front porch swing helped with directions to the nearest hotel and potential dinner sources. I made it into the hotel lobby as the heaviest sheets of rain hit.
All local food delivery stopped by the time I reached the hotel. The Pizza Hut at the bottom of the hill through the pouring rain had questionably stopped serving. I had a cool dry room and cold dinner of Cliff bars.
This area got heavy storms overnight. Local airports closed and millions were without power. Two days later there are still traffic lights without power. I was fortunate to be hotel bound on this evening. I passed many tents and campers in my race to reach Hancock. I hope they fared well.

Location:Hancock, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment