Friday, June 29, 2012

Eastbound and hot

Heat wave takes care of minimalist camping gear not being warm enough. I think I can add vagrant to my resume after last nights "camp"




I was on the bike rolling at 6:50. My first choice breakfast town wasn't yet open for breakfast so just keep rolling



Tunnel bypass due to nearby dynamite work







Even cold blooded critters feel the warm up. This is the 6th snake of the trip an the first poisonous. He wasn't happy about being photographed




After more climbing my 2nd divide crossing. Thanks to Michael for talking me through the low. Good luck with your DC trip!




Big savage tunnel is 1km long. The cold of tunnel is glorious on a day like this. The descent to Cumberland should be more fun. I couldn't stay in aero holding 20mph all the way down. I was happy about the downhill when afternoon heat hit. I could barely ride downhill.






I hit the figurative wall coming down the mountain. It was a real challenge to be coherent enough to find lunch.




Restocking calories and fluids now. Also laying low out of extreme heat. 6 course meal and then resupply makes good cool time.

My saddle contact points, hands, and feet are all protesting loudly today. Careful tending kept me rolling this long. r&r may be necessary soon.

Cheers from Cumberland for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment