Thursday, June 28, 2012

Plan B

I've been working on my Plan B for TourDivide. Upon return from Antelope Wells,NM I came down with a sinus infection and spent a week mostly in bed. I recovered from that enough to start getting antsy. I was going back to work early or taking another adventure.

With all the training and gear I opted for adventure. The plan went from concept to execution to departure in four hours in order to catch a free ride and lodging in DC. I'm biking the C&O towpath and GAP from Washington, DC to Pittsburgh and back. It will be around 700 miles round trip with 2 crossings of the eastern continental divide.








Today I crossed the divide and entered Pennsylvania. That adds to the list of AZ, NM, DC, MD, WV, and NC that i've biked in this month. PA is beautiful so far. The GAP is smoother than C&O. After ~90 miles on Monday and Tuesday I finally hit triple digits today.

I camped out last night. As suspected my minimalist gear left me a bit chilly with overnight temps in upper 40's. It worked out well enough as I added layers through the night. This morning I realized I forgot to completely zip the bivvy sack. That may have been enough to eek out comfortable sleeping arrangements. Otherwise a silk base layer would help warm with minimal weight and bulk.






On the plus side I started camp fire with only one match. Pops would be proud or at least content. The fire seems more a nicety than necessity. The sight was irresistible with pre-split firewood and no standing water in sight. In the end the fire took significant time to start and douse. I'd like to learn to do without it.

I really liked the symbolism of rocks on this mile marker from Monday. I believe mountain climbers do similar on mountain tops.



Cumberland is a beautiful town with great amenities, lots of passing cyclists, and a walkable downtown market. I happened into breakfast with a member I adventure cycling association, the former town mayor, the former town accountant, and then miss Maryland made an appearance. Right place, right time.








Cumberland is the transition from C&O to GAP



Hostile territory for a southerner?









I found a bed and breakfast for the night in Connellsville. Shower and warm soft bed for me. Load of hot darks for clothes. Huge dinner of barley soup, spinach salad, and pasta with chicken and vegetables. Feels much better without 2 days of trail dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment