Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Scrambling

Scrambling to get things done. Interesting updates:

  • Bike arrived in Tucson, assembled, and ready for pickup
  • Prescription transition sun glasses not going to arrive before start of race, even with four weeks notice. I'll just carry sun and non-sun glasses; better redundancy anyway.
  • Locked myself out of my car today. Almost fished keys out and then dropped them to inaccessible location. Thanks Rebecca for the bailout.
  • Team Cisco are awesome. Thanks to the netizens for everything.
  • The google group is up and running. Kenneth is moderating in my absence.
  • Official NoBo start time is now 10am Eastern/ 9am Central / 8am Mountain / 7am Pacific.
  • I couldn't ship all my gear with the bike so now I'm packing it. I'm ditching the disposable to replenish at REI in Tucson when I pickup my bike.
  • Spare derailleur hangar from Moots is meeting me in Lordsburg. They make awesome bikes. Get one.
  • We now have 4 riders catching a ride to the NoBo start line.
  • New Mexico forest fires officially forced a reroute already. I'll be wayfinding out of the gate.
If you're reading this thank you for being part of the journey. Special thanks to Rebecca, Lincoln, Kevin, Kenny, Kenneth, RyanR, RyanL, Waylon, Frances, and Marty.

I posted even more resources for the ride at http://employees.org/~wsisk/tourdivide/

One fun thing there are the KML files.  Use those with google maps to get a better view of the route:
  1. navigate to http://maps.google.com
  2. in the search enter http://employees.org/~wsisk/tourdivide/2_td_4_5_6.kml
Now you have the original route, prior to any reroutes, in google maps. Pan zoom, street view, satellite view. Check out the route.

The kml files also import into Google Earth for flyovers.  Share what you know about seeing the course with the above resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment