Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cadence

Life on the trail takes on it's own cadence. The repeating patterns for me so far are up in the 6 hour, on the bike by 8am, stop around 8 pm, rinse and repeat. One or two extended stops for meals and or resupply during the day. This nets 90-100 miles per day.

I'd like to increase that distance some.

Speed is one option. Inevitably once or more during the day my speed drops to single digits. This happens when I start feeling bad. I haven't been able to maintain balance of hydration, nutrition, and energy level. I believe more calories are required so I'm trying higher calorie snacks. I also had my first Coke since March today. After meticulously flattening it it seemed to get me through a lull. Well, that, a large ice cream, a peanut butter cookie, and a bottle of strawberry apple juice.

Longer days are another way to increase mileage. I need to minimize wasted morning, day, and evening time. Tonight is first camp without fire. I am in a camp ground of sorts with others so should be fine. I rode until 10ish and then scored the last 6 wings at a bar as well as directions to free camping. Only time will tell if the extra hours take too much toll.

Connellsville





McKeesport



Rough "trail" to Pittsburgh


Pittsburgh












Heading back west. Nice bridge pedestrian and bike lanes


Dusty bike


Red runoff



Saw this sign twice today going and coming from Pittsburgh



Seems sad to be past half way already. I am still working out routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment