Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Serendipity

Monday evening I stopped to help a fellow rider with a flat. Holly got a patch and saved from a 7 mile hike. I got dinner and lodging. It was a great evening with a new friend. It was even more beneficial as a cold snap came in that really makes my marginal camping gear insufficient. It would have been a cold night on the ground. Instead I enjoyed a great meal and conversation, a hot shower after 12 dusty hours on the trail, and a soft bed. Phenomenal.

The evening included some back tracking so I re-explored some territory this morning after getting dropped at a trail head.

Pretty quickly I found Dam #4 and the Stallwater(?) Bypass.








The trail and river in this area was particularly nice. I was a bit sad to miss the river scenery.

The bypass was a welcome to WV hills and reminder I wasn't following a river bed. With climbing and traffic it was still beautiful in its own way.





I have some day two soreness and tenderness today. It's not bad just reminders of how good yesterday was. More pressing is the day two hunger. Riding all day really toasts calories and leaves a hollow pit for a stomach. Time for big lunch at Tony's in Williamsport.