Monday, September 3, 2012

Biking High Bridge State Park

During the GAP and C&O bike trip in June I added two more rail trails to my resume: Western Maryland Rail Trail and Great Allegheny Passage. I really like rail trails as dedicated hike/bike paths with NO CARS. Coincidentally High Bridge state park is close enough for a weekend trip. The trip allowed me to scout the Tobacco Heritage trail which is currently under construction.

First Tobacco Heritage. I hoped it might be passable such that I could ride it rough for an added bit of adventure. The trail near Meherrin, VA is in rough shape and not easily passable. I will wait for official construction and check back later.

Tobacco Heritage trail looks very promising. I am excited about the construction and mileage potential.



High Bridge State Park and rail trail extends east and west from Farmville, VA. Coincidentally Farmville is a college town making for a great base of operations.

I admit it, I'm slacking on mileage. I took two days to cover this piddly 30 mile trail with two out and back routes of 30 miles each. That left plenty of leisure time. I really love this picture. The Moots is on the cartop roof rack. The hedges hide the car. The bike appears floating in the air. That's how it feels to ride the Moots with front and rear shocks unlocked - riding on a cushion of air. The sun was hot and pool was cool.

And that's why the call it High Bridge. I'm grateful the railroad infrastructure can be reclaimed and reused. Every time I'm on these trails I'm thankful for them. The trails are entertainment for me. The trails do attract and encourage locals to get out and move. It is safe and scenic outdoor play space. Sometimes I'm saddened to see the people on the trail. Then I remind myself they are on the trail, they are being active, and they likely would not be active otherwise. Three cheers for rail trails!!!








The eastern end of the trail. There are plans to extend this over into the next town. Currently the eastern end has a picnic table in the shade. It's a great place for a picnic.

No comments:

Post a Comment