Saturday, September 15, 2012

Biking Raleigh Durham Greenways

It has been a while since I've explored all my favorite local trails. Umstead and I are close friends but what about the rest of the Raleigh Durham trails?

House Creek Greenway which connects Reedy Creek Greenway to Crabtree Creek Greenway is now complete. There is a nice bridge as you turn north onto House Creek from Reedy Creek. This is a critical connector for trail systems inside the Raleigh beltline.

I opted for the Specialized Tricross on this trip. It's still my get'r-done commuter. The cyclocross geometry and drop bars are sufficiently similar to road bike for speedy riding. The rear luggage rack and snap on panniers are another winning feature. 

Trail construction is underway for the American Tobacco Trail bridge over I-40 as well connector trails for the proximal existing ATT trails. I really love seeing trail construction. This is another critical connector. Today trail users must risk life and limb on Fayetteville road or NC-751 to cross I-40. The Fayetteville route is shorter but more daunting:
There is plenty of asphalt and plenty of traffic. I get nervous riding it. It simply isn't viable for a family or really even a group of cyclists.  The NC-751 options is slightly better but only in a questionable sort of way. The 751 route has side walks to escape traffic. However, in Durham it is illegal to bike on sidewalks. Given the option I use the sidewalks and it hasn't been a problem yet. Even in this route there are a few questionable crossings involving interstate on/off ramps.
Suffices to say the bridge over I-40 will be a great addition.


I also really enjoy exploring new areas. The connector trail from the I-40 bridge down to Massey Chapel road will not follow the original rail bed. I am interested to see if they put effort into leveling the new path to be as flat as the original rail bed.

One notable addition is the cows! Looks like Durham has been busy adding new cows. These are on Tobacco Road near DPAC. There are other new cows by Johnson Lexus. They are interesting flare and so give the feeling of a unified city.

One notably poor experience is the White Oak Creek trail under the I-540 Extension / Toll Road / Triangle Express Way / Western Wake Freeway.
The trail used to be complete prior to road construction. Now it appears road construction is complete and the trail is left butchered. It looks like new pavement was added to reach the road right of way. Then the pavement abruptly ends on both the eastern and western sides of the freeway. It is possible to pass under the freeway bridge but it is currently an obstacle course at best. Unbridged draining areas traverse the would be trial route on both sides of the freeway. It is currently hike-a-bike through mud, high weeds, and genuinely rough terrain. The rough terrain is the appalling artificial post-construction mess. Concurrently it has that "road construction finished" aesthetic. I am worried the trail will remain broken for some time. Again, this is NOT family friendly. Here's hoping Wake County continues their previous good practices on open spaces.



No comments:

Post a Comment