Sunday, July 29, 2012

Hiking Hanging Rock

Virginia isn't the only state with great hiking. I spent a weekend camping and hiking Hanging Rock in NC. I knew I was on the "right" trail when I found this sign.

I felt unusually sapped climbing up to the peak. I didn't think I was that out of shape. At the top I enjoyed great vistas. Maybe gaining elevation just takes more effort.


Observation tower. Great views from the top but no shade.




Vistas replaced the grimace of pain on ascent with jubilant smiles.

Careful, that next step is a doozy!



After covering all trails on the western side of the park I headed back east. This was an interesting experience. This area of trails was marshy with heavy canopy more like a rain forest.





Pilot mountain in the distance. Pilot is on the todo list as well.


Mountain stream fed lake was nice and cool after a hot hike. Apparently I arrived just after a snake scare. Swimmers didn't appreciate sharing the water with an added serpent swimmer.


It struck me on this hike that many of my generation and younger probably assume that steps occur naturally. The work done by civilian corps and similar programs from the "Big Deal" and other government programs in the 1900's crafted the landscape and time absorbed the efforts so the changes appear natural. Belated thank you to all the people who worked to create erosion proof pathways that allow us to enjoy nature while mitigating the impact of our passage.





In two days I covered every trail in the park save a couple running east and out of the park. Oh well, I'll just have to go back and pick those up another time. Who's up for a hike?

No comments:

Post a Comment