Saturday, July 7, 2012

Part me, part gear, partial loss

I took a few days off from posting. Then my iPhone 4 took a vacation.

With the phone went my pictures and my primary network presence. I survived on a backup android device until its monthly data plan expired. That led to another multi hour support engagement with Verizon. My initial impressions of android and Verizon are less than stellar. I did come to favor the swipe keyboard.

My vacation from posting followed by iPhone croak leads to a lost pictures and stories. I have to try data recovery on the phone. Any pointers are welcome. I will be updating posts with salvage photos.

I'm disappointed to lose access to those for sharing, for more visceral blog posts, and for my own reflection.

I didn't have photo stream setup or backups to iCloud. Neither would have helped as I've effectively been away from wifi since leaving Raleigh. Wifi I did find was slower than 3G coverage. I didn't sit still in coverage for very long. As final salt in the wound Apple Store Genius Bar refused to data recover the phone to get my pictures back.

This gap in carrier bandwidth, iCloud functionality, and genius bar is a downer. Mobility and the cloud still seem hollow promises IMHO.

On the bright side my device redundancy plan payed off, worked well enough, and I got some quality time with android.


No comments:

Post a Comment