Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Simple Joy of Biking, 19 of #30DaysofBiking

Blogging can be a two way streak. For those who have responded, thank you.

Building momentum to reach escape velocity today afforded a pic of my new Ergon BX2 pack. I keep the cover on to help keep it clean and dry. I haven't escaped the feeling of guilt that comes with getting new stuff dirty. It will eventually get broken in and the delicate handling will pass.

You can vaguely see the shoulder straps floating loosely off my back. The pack weight really does sit on my hips. Numerous fit adjustments allow a very comfortable fit. There is a great video on all the adjustments. My favorite is the ability to extend the semi-rigid frame so that it spans the length of my back. I use the XL setting, supposedly for 6'2" and above though I'm only 6'. Vents and spacing keep my back dry of sweat. Organization and accessibility are mediocre. It's different and I am still learning.




Escaping out onto two wheels the ground was still damp with cloud cover hanging around. The lack of rain the forecast was a pretty stiff contrast to the lingering humidity and clouds. So long as the rain held it was perfect weather for riding. If the rain didn't hold it really didn't matter. The ride must go on.




Consecutive days of riding are great practice. I've pretty much abandoned speed at this point. It's all about saddle time. My last few rides have focused on enjoying time in the saddle. I'm still riding and it's a starkly different experience. This is rolling into Durham. You can faintly discern the water tower above the brick building.




One of my new favorite routes loops around Al Buehler Trail with a short stint on 751 before plunging deeper into Duke Forest.




Trails there are quiet and peaceful. Nice tree cover in some places. There are a few really nice climbs. Many of the trails have deep gravel yielding great training.




Eventually I found myself close to home. I'm not exactly sure how. It was gorgeous evening and night for riding.

The police department likely has no idea how much entertainment their speed signs provide. This is 28mph on the mountain bike with knobbies while driving one handed and operating a camera. I hope it stays up so I can get in more tests.




Today was a simple joyful ride. Weather cooperated beautifully. My left knee complained from the beginning so I'm thinking of another cleat adjustment.

It was simply a great evening on the bike. What are you waiting for? Get out and ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment