Friday, April 20, 2012

Durham and 20 of #30DaysofBiking

It was an absolutely gorgeous evening for a ride. I followed a normal route up the American Tobacco Trail and then out Riddle Road Spur. Usually I flip around at the end of the spur and head back. Today I realized there was a nice sidewalk that teed into the trail. Then I noticed a bike lane. Then I set about happily getting lost.

The bike lane goes for a few miles and includes a couple of nice hills. It traverses an industrial park so nice low traffic and ample riding room. Again it astounds me how many industrial parks have sidewalks and no pedestrians. Easy riding ended at Durham Technical Community College. This might prove convenient in the future. Maybe I can try my luck at updating Google maps as well as they currently do not show a bike lane in this area. Eventually I meandered back to the ATT and over to Tobacco Road in downtown Durham. Nice bike rack:



These spinners near Durham Performing Arts Center made quite a site in the evening sun.



I rambled aimlessly around downtown taking in the sites. There were events at Durham Performing Arts Center, Carolina Theater, a Durham Bulls Game, and possibly a convention at the Sheraton. Durham was really bustling tonight. Rolling here and there around DPAC I found myself on a deck overlooking the ball game:



I'm not sure the bicycle was exactly supposed to be here but no one was making a fuss. I paused long enough to appreciate the view and then pressed on in my taxing relaxing ride.

I strolled leisurely down the trail taking in the sites and then the darkness. It was a gorgeous night for a ride. The world was calm and comfortable. This weather could really stick around for a few days, weeks, or months.

Lost in thought and reveling in the weather I strongly considered riding late into the night. The forecast for Sunday is quite foreboding. I could ride late on Friday, all day Saturday, and enjoy the rain from the dry side of the glass on Sunday. In the end I opted for a "normal" schedule. I internally shook hands to sleep tonight and ride long on Saturday. I'd really like to see a 120+ mile day. That would leave enough mobility to walk and drive a few errands on Sunday...

IF you're not riding at this time of year then you really are missing out.  Day 20, 20 miles on the day, 425 miles on the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment