Monday, April 30, 2012

Biking of Day #30 #30DaysofBiking


Day 30 finally arrived. My meeting schedule left time for a quick spin in the middle of the day. The narrow window of time meant go, and go now! That also means a minimalist ride. That was somehow appropriate.  Just a bike, not even a water bottle.



A nice path forward.



No backpack, not even biking gloves. This view was odd to me with no gloves, no GPS, no aerobar, no bite valve, and no food bag. The contrast between this and my normal view really struck me.



This bit of trail and bridge struck me as a good metaphor for life in the moment. Some immediate obstacles, a path without guard rails for some safe excitement, and then some guard rails from the most extreme conditions.



Heading home to make the next meeting I couldn't avoid the value of access. Low barrier to entry is a huge recipe for success. For #30DaysofBiking access to safe biking routes is huge.



30 days are over and biking likely is not. This may be more of a rolling stop. And then an aggressive acceleration!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Wes,

    I noticed that you signed up as a northbounder for the Tour Divide Race. I have too. Matthew Lee said that only about four of us may be choosing the sensible direction (Banff got snow yesterday). I am flying into Albuquerque on the 30th and then riding the route south from Grants to Silver City in order to get used to the heat and elevation. Where I live (Oregon) we have neither. I'll be resting in Silver City for a few days before the race and hope to arrange a shuttle to the border either the evening of the 7th or early morning on the 8th. How are you getting to the start line? Do you want to combine efforts to get a shuttle, assuming you are staging from Silver City?

    Chip Andrus
    obscurus11@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chip,

      See you Lordsburg for the ride to AW. Great idea on the acclimation.

      Delete