Saturday, January 21, 2012

Wipeout!

Time flies when following a chock full plan towards a fear inducing future feat. I'm a bit behind on blogging about my biking. Thursday was cold. Friday was cold. My phone showed 36. My fingers felt 28. Rebecca confirmed low 30's. Fingers got cold. Gotta work on that.


Friday afternoon was an early bike home to then go to 2nd bike fitting. Second time around was much better. It is closer to dialed in now. More parts on order. I may get to ride it next weekend.


Friday evening I tentatively selected bike bags. I emailed the company for details. Saturday's rain is a good chance to test gear. Rear tire is starting to get slick so I need to rotate or replace. I'm leaning toward the latter after this morning's experience. More on that later


First a bus nearly turned into me. 3x rear red strobes and 3x front white strobes. Still didn't see me. Rain washes away driving skills. A few miles down the road while still shaken from the bus a wet wooden bridge had its way with my front tire. Specifically pushing it out from under me very rapidly to the right.


I sat on the wet ground and composed myself for a minute. I picked everything that flew off the bike. Gear kept me dry and unscathed. After slowing down I thoroughly appreciated Tommy's voicemail. Safe travels bro. My handle bar tape is torn and my left glove is missing a couple grip pads. I'm in good shape. Fueling up on warm coffee and oatmeal at Starbucks getting ready for more miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment