Monday, January 27, 2014

A Morning in Oswiecim

In various history classes I studied World War II. In high school Schindler's List really left an impression. I entered college dating a Jewish girl and she and her family significantly changed the direction of my life. Thank you Stacie Garnett. I learned to walk a little softer and gained friendships across many cultures. I really appreciate when others share their culture. There is culture on display at monuments, there are carefully chosen culture icons, there's a day in the life, and occasionally a culture is represented by something from OUTSIDE the culture. I think this is the case with Auschwitz.

It's a chilling place literally and figuratively. We happened to visit on Survivor Remembrance Day. A quick tour was enough for me and a political ceremony with the president of Poland and foreign dignitaries start at noon. Navigating a foreign country without speaking the native language is tough enough during "business as usual". We'd already had one encounter with police and closed roads. I wasn't excited about trying to navigate the world of exceptions when national and international dignitaries were present.

My "light visit" rapidly gained a few tons when we entered the front gate amid a group of survivors who were touring before attending the upcoming ceremony.



















I left feeling permeated by coldness and it wasn't our coldest day. I didn't sleep the night before and I didn't sleep for 2 days after.

The first thing I wanted when leaving was distance between me and this place. The second thing I wanted was coffee to physically and mentally warm up. Ice cream was furthest from my mind so the shop advertising ice cream in the parking lot felt quite offensive.




I only did a fleeting tour. The "Hall of Hair" was closed. I didn't see Birkenau. I don't have words for the experience of actually visiting Auschwitz. If you want to know more go or let's talk in person.

A few speakable noteworthy things do stand out. The site is in Poland; not Germany. It's like getting into a bad bar fight and someone else carrying around the scar. The camp was used for Polish and Russian prisoners of war, and basically anyone the Nazis condemned, early on. Documentation was meticulous at times. I'm left amazed at what can be made to appear "on the up and up". And chilled and pensive and sleepless.

No comments:

Post a Comment