Saturday, September 10, 2011

Experiments in Endurance

Tomorrow is fun with Ironman Wisconsin but no day is fulfilling without a bit of experimentation. My tests for tomorrow:

* Lots of z2 workouts this year. That's faired well for others. I'll find out soon.
* Slow twitch warmth. The day will begin and end in the 50's F. I'm hoping energy saved on thermal regulation turns kinetic! I'm also hoping 150bpm generates enough warmth!
* HIIT - how well does this prepare me for marathon?
* Are burpees really good endurance training?
* I'm pushing for 300cal/hour intake - 2/3 of a powerbar every 30 mins. This should keep me going a bit longer.
* Annual Adaptation - I did this last year. I did this in 2008. I've done several long events this year alone. I believe endurance events are cumulative at my level of competition. Here's hoping.
* Less is more - I'm headed into this race 5lbs lighter than last year. I'm hoping that helps especially on bike and run hills. It already makes wetsuit easier to get on/off ;-)

Big focus areas for tomorrow:
* love the wetsuit, be the wetsuit, work with my wetsuit. (thanks Gary, Dennis, and Christine!)
* 300 cal/hour intake
* ride smart on hills - easy up, hammer flat and down
* DON'T GET CARRIED AWAY BY THE CROWDS
* caffeine and pain killer on back half of run
* Bust ass after mile 20. Last time I finished with composure. This time I want to go hard for the last hour.

With good luck I will have some final results 25 hours from now.





No comments:

Post a Comment